Recently in Race! Category

What a morning!


This morning was the fourth year in a row that I've run the Jim Click Run'n'Roll 8k race around the UA. I love this race - the course is twisty and fun, the frat boys at mile 2 never fail to cheer and give high-fives, and the weather is usually warm but not too bad. This year did not disappoint!

2008 Run'n'Roll 001

Yesterday was windy and last night was very rainy. That made this morning absolutely perfect. Breezy and cool with puffy clouds. Ash and I headed to the U with our friend Chris and got there early enough to meet up with my friend Melissa. We danced around to great music, listened to the national anthem, then we were off!

2008 Run'n'Roll 003

I haven't run farther than 3 miles since April. And the running I've been doing lately includes lots of walk breaks and an average of 12:30-minute miles. Very slow. So I anticipated my personal worst for this course, but I didn't care. I was just happy to be headed out for a run!

2008 Run'n'Roll 002

Of course, I took off too fast. So I tried to temper the (relative) speed and aim for and 11:30 pace. I figured that would probably be too fast overall, but at the time it felt slow. After the initial crush of people spread out, I slipped into a great groove with Michael Franti & Spearhead's newest single bouncing in my ears. The ease at which I stayed between 11:30 and 12:15 surprised me, but I took it in stride and just kept going. I got my high-fives at mile 2 from the frat guys, tackled the only "steep" section heading down and back up the Speedway underpass at mile 3, skipped both water stations since I brought a handheld with gatorade - which allowed me both times to drop most of the annoying leap-froggers, had slowed down by this point but was in an awesome zone by mile 4 (there's a long slight uphill that I just kept jogging up; it felt so good).

2008 Run'n'Roll 005

In the last mile, a woman in blue I had been leapfrogging with - she would run really fast to pass me, cut in front of me, then walk slowly again and again and again for the entire length of the race - tried to catch me. Sneaker Pimps's song Six Underground started on my iPod and I kept cadence to it's beat. It was perfect - suddenly I was consistently running a low-11s pace. She tried her darnedest to keep up with me, but I could hear her grunting. I decided there was no way I was going to let her stay with me. I mean, if she could, that'd been great - we could have helped each other reach the finish line. But all she did was run right up to my side, then stay there, trying to hold on. Nope, I decided. Not after how annoying she had been earlier in the race. I'm going to keep going and I'm not going to let you pass me again. And so I kept going. And it felt so good. This was the fastest pace I had maintained for the course of the race - and it was at the end - and it just kept feeling better and better and better. Nirvana came on next and listening to the wall of guitars helped keep me going till I turned the corner and there was the finish line. I stepped it up a notch, then began my kick in earnest. And then Ash was there yelling that he wanted to cross the finish line with me, and of course I said yes, but I really had to put the brakes on in order to allow him to run with me :) I squeaked in just under an hour, totally faster than I thought I'd be.

2008 Run'n'Roll 006

And the best part? How incredibly GOOD the run felt. The longer I went, the faster I got, the better I felt. I got in a zone and that carried me through to the end. Pure bliss.

2008 Run'n'Roll 007

Bonus: El Charro was giving away free bean burritos afterwards. My favorite food by my favorite local restaurant! I contemplated the possible folly of chowing down on a bean-and-cheese burrito right after a race, but then decided it was worth it :)

My mom and me before the run:
Angie and Mama before the race

Look how similar our jogging styles are:
Mama and Angie start the race

We have identical body posture!:
Mama and Angie round the curve to the finish

On another note, I've been tagged by Olga. Here are the rules:
1) Write your own six word memoir
2) Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration if you want
3) Link to the person that tagged you in your post, and to the original post if possible so we can track it as it travels across the blogosphere
4) Tag at least five more blogs with links
5) Leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play!

6 word memoir:
Breaking barriers with patience, determination, joyfulness.

Doing my best "Scott Jurek" at Pemberton Finish

Tag! You're it - Zane Grey Buddies: jeff, Renee, Taryn, Troy.

A Lark in the Park


This past weekend was an overwhelming blast of fun. On Saturday, Chris, Ash and I headed up to Mesa to hang out with my family. Saturday night was my first of many birthday parties planned over the next month - this one with my family. Seven kids under six years old running around screaming their heads off, my sister and her husband, my step-brother and his wife along with my mom and step-dad eating cake, wading in the pool, and eating my mom's awesome tacos and burritos made for a fun time.

We stayed overnight, and the next morning, my mom, Chris, Ash and I headed to the Phoenix Zoo for "A Lark in the Park 5k". My mom is trying to get into shape, and likes power-walking (and running a little bit). We ran a 5k about 18 months ago, which was fun, and I was looking forward to this one. It was two loops through the zoo: we got stalked by a tiger, ignored by lions and flamingos, screeched at by parrots, dusted by rhinos and cheered on by Ash and Chris. We worked on jogging vs running (my mom laughed that she had two speeds only: fast or slow), talked up a storm, enjoyed some companionable silence, and worked our butts off to beat the girl in gray pants (which we did, go mom!). We finished in 43:38, a great time for my mom, and an enjoyable time for me (still recovering from last week's major mileage). (Photos to come)

Once we made it home, Ash went to his dad's, and Chris and I headed to a wedding, which was beautiful and a lot of fun.

Monday afternoon, I headed out for six miles around my neighborhood. Boy, let me tell you, an evening in heels does not make for a comfortable run the following day! Plus it was hot. But it felt really good to be out there. Plus - I got to run with my new Nathan pack! (My birthday present to myself.)

This morning, I headed out for an additional six miles with the pack again. Even though it was cooler than yesterday, it still was a tough run. (Those damn heels!) I'm looking forward to resting tomorrow, spinning or running on Thursday, running six miles on both Friday and Saturday mornings, and then heading out for 8-10 miles as my birthday run on Sunday!!! This is my final week before a two-week taper. Yay!

And finally - I'm in the March/April 2008 issue of Marathon & Beyond! The article is "Mountain Running: East vs West". They interviewed me a couple years ago, so they used my married name instead of my maiden name, which I'm currently using. If you are interested in reading it, e-mail me (I've got a PDF of the part I'm in).

Notes from a running-centric weekend:

It's Friday and I should be at work but instead I'm running nine miles while waiting for Olga and her friend Adrian to arrive. It's the middle of the day and it's hot but I don't mind. I'm running and I'm happy.
It's Friday evening and Olga and Adrian have just arrived and Olga's first inclination is to relax in the courtyard and talk girl-talk and Adrian's first words to me are, "Shall I get us a six-pack?" I decide I like this guy. We spend an hour chatting and drinking beer and Chris joins us as the sun sets. Olga decides she's hungry so we all hop to it and get in the car letting Olga drive which is a total mistake as I feel I've put my life into her (recklessly driving) hands. But it's ok, cause I drive even worse so I don't mind. Too much.
We eat a fast dinner from Safeway and Olga and Adrian pack for the race. I prepare my crew stuff and Chris reads. We sleep as well as we can before waking up at 3:30 am.
olga art strong 002
We are efficient runners. We are ready to leave 10 minutes before we are scheduled to leave. We stop at Safeway but it's closed so we head to the freeway to find a truck stop. We need coffee and gas. But the truck stop only serves large vehicles. My little Kia is not even close to a large vehicle. We find another gas station and get our supplies.
We meet Trail Goat and take our before photos. The runners start the race and I trek up to the car and on to the first of four aid stations.
Adrian and Olga
Angie and Olga
Starting 50 mile race!
Throughout the day, I remember why I love crewing: driving fast on dirt roads, spending hours relaxing outside with a good book and a few magazines, catching up with friends, watching the race unfold.
Olga approaches mile 7
Adrian at mile 25
Angie passes Olga in the car
Angie ponders the audacity of ultrarunners
Olga does well, she's worried about a bladder infection and is in pain, but moving well. I keep missing Adrian, he's too fast for me. Every aid station, I look up and he's passing me on his way out before I can get the camera out.
Mile 40: Olga says she's in survival mode. I'm worried, but it's Olga, so I'm not too worried. She's 30 minutes behind pace and thinks she can't finish in 11 hours.
Getting hosed
Olga approaches 40 mile aid station
Adrian at the finish
At the finish line Adrian crosses the line before I can get a photo. We discuss when Olga will arrive and then I go stand in the sunshine while Adrian closes his eyes to rest. A few runners come in and then I see Olga's familiar gait - about 40 minutes ahead of when I am expecting her. I shout across to Adrian - it's Olga, look! It's Olga!
Olga crosses the finish line
Her knees are bloody, tears are streaming down her face and she gives me the best, most saltiest hug I've ever received. She made up 20 minutes in the last 10 miles, this gritty, determined, amazing woman.
Bloody hell
Olga's injuries
Dinner is at Sauce, pasta for me in preparation for 18 miles the next morning. Chris laughs at Adrian's dead-pan jokes and I just laugh and laugh and laugh and after spending most of dinner in the bathroom, Olga decides she wants to take the restaurant's toilet home.
Olga and Adrian leave the next morning - I am sad to see them go and I am happy I got to see them. I am ready for my 18 miles and I am full of excitement as I head to Sabino Canyon.
I complete the first loop in reverse of my usual direction and take 2 minutes off my time. I wish I brought a pair of socks to change at the halfway point, then decide it's okay that I went through a few creek crossings. I fly downhill, using Olga's tips on how to go downhill without hurting my knees. I love the sunshine and the ferocious wind and my music and my fueling. I know I'm doing well and I love it.
I run the second loop in the usual direction and pass people again - the same people I passed on my way down but this time I'm passing them on the way up. Back again? Says one guy. Yup I say with a smile.
I'm tired and sore but my knees are doing better than two weeks ago and I'm still fueling right and my fingers aren't swelling like normal. I wish more people were on the trail but it's still nice.
I'm tired, I'm sore, I'm 17 miles into an 18-miler and my knees hurt, my body's numb, my back is spasming, I'm running an 11:30 pace and I'm happy.
Dinner is a burrito at La Salsa then I beat Chris at Scrabble before we watch Michael Clayton and then I crash in bed. I'm exhausted and happy and I realize I got 34 miles in the week - the most I've gotten since last June and I know I'm finally "in shape' in a general sense and even better, I"m getting in Zane Grey shape. That's awesome.
The entire photo album

Near Wild Heaven


Cliffs in the canyon

I am thankful for an amazing Thanksgiving weekend.

Angie's ready for the race

I ran the Thanksgiving Day Race at the park, hopping over hay bales and jumping over water (or through water, at least on the second lap). Chris took photos on the first lap, then left to go play soccer. I went out too fast and ended up walking on the second lap, finishing in 35 minutes on the dot. Not my best, but not my worst, either. Plus it was fun.

My shoulder as I hop over hay bales

I joined the soccer game after that (my first ever soccer game!), and ran around for about 45 more minutes, before heading home to clean up.

Dinner on Thursday with Chris's parents was cancelled at the last minute, leaving Chris and I scrambling to create our own dinner at 2 pm. We went to the store, and cobbled together a hodge-podge of Thanksgiving foods. It was an adventure! Considering the circumstances - it could have been a lot worse - it ended up being a lot of fun and quite a bonding experience. Plus, I beat him at Scrabble, so it was a VERY good day :)

Thanksgiving Dinner

Friday, we slept in and decided to skip a run and a hike, and hit up the gym instead. We perused the weight machines and I learned how to use a few that will help my running muscles, before I headed to the elliptical machine. We followed that up with a trip to our favorite sushi restaurant (I don't eat sushi, but LOVE Japanese food) and then hit up Target, which wasn't too bad, considering it was "black Friday".

Saturday brought a trip to IKEA in Phoenix on the way to my parent's house. I'd never been; it was a blast! I found mini table easels - perfect for displaying my art - totally cheap! And dinner with my family was a total (loud, fun, dancing-to-surfing-christmas-music-while-doing-the-dishes) blast.

Phoneline Trail

Sunday morning...mmm...Sunday morning brought my nine-mile Phoneline Loop. I wasn't able to do this two weeks ago because I was sick, and I've been dying to get back out on this trail now that it's open! Plus, my Christmas gift arrived on Friday and I couldn't wait to use it:

My new toy!

The first part of the run was getting warmed up and I climbed up up up. At the right moment, just as the trail leveled off and began it's undulating portion, Queens of the Stone Age came on my iPod. It was perfect. I bounced, bopped and hopped my way over rocks as I danced down the trail. Then REM's "Near Wild Heaven" came on, and I just smiled smiled smiled my way across the trail. Better yet, just .10 of a mile from where I hit the road for an awesome downhill, Outkast's "Hey Ya!" came on, and I started FLYING down the rest of the trail and then down down down a beautiful hill on the road. I kept a 7:12/mile pace for .75 mile!!!! It was aMAZing!!! The rest of the run was recovery from that :)

I'm ready to run!

After a nap on Sunday and a great Eagles/Patriots game, I crashed. It felt good to just relax and rest that day.

Yesterday I wore my three-inch-high boots to work. Yeah, not the best idea after running nine miles the day before! :) The best part of yesterday was the rescheduled turkey dinner with Chris's folks. It was delicious and a great carb-loading dinner for this morning's 5-miler.

It was freakin' COLD this morning! I had to dig out my tights, mittens and skull cap. Barb and I headed out around the neighborhood; it was a good run. Slow, but just what I needed for my sore muscles.

Unfortunately, I think I'm getting sick again. My head is stuffy, my ears and sinuses hurt and sudafed's not doing much :( Hopefully it's just allergies or a light cold, and will pass quickly. I'm glad I still got up this morning and ran, even though I had numerous excuses not to (if you're sick, it's better to rest, running - especially in the cold - may dampen your immune system). The rest of the week will be hard to squeeze runs in, but I'm sure I'll be able to.

I'm excited about the upcoming holiday season. Lots of parties, Ash's birthday, a vacation, plus Christmas: should be fun!

The full photo album here

Angie's lessons in what a pacer shouldn't do:
- Offer to pace someone for more than you are trained to handle at the moment
- Tell your runner once you are out there that you are in pain
- Insist your runner take the two pain medication tablets that he has, then tell him that if you don't get any at the next aid station, you won't be able to finish the lap with him
- Show any sign of weakness

Kirk and Jess

As a pacer, you should be strong, allowing your runner to mentally lean on you to help them through that section. You should be talkative, funny, have enough brainpower to tell non-stop stories and enough fitness to not only keep up with your runner, but 'pull' them along as necessary.

Yeah, uh-huh, okay. Too bad I didn't take lessons before I volunteered.

Jess and I slept in Saturday morning. After stopping by Starbucks and Subway to get our coffee and food for the day, we headed up to the trailhead. On the way, we freaked out upon passing an accident scene with multiple police cars, a body lying under a tarp with the person's shoes sticking out from underneath and a mangled bicycle lying nearby. I've searched the news to try and find out what happened, but can't find anything. My thoughts are with the fallen cyclist's family. It was a sobering way to start the day.

Once at the trailhead, we set up in the shade and proceeded to spend the day cheering on runners: Michelle Barton, who came in second place; Jennifer, a runner who belongs to OCTR (Jess's trail running group), who has not completed a 100-mile race but was determined to, who decided to do JJ100 two days before the race and who also had stress fractures in her foot; Steve, who seemed to always be in a good mood and who the few bees on course and at headquarters were attracted to; Hippo, who was dressed in a pink girls outfit, complete with "brat" on his butt; Kirk, the runner Jess and I would be pacing later in the evening, who had DNF'd last year at mile 60; Chuck, a guy I met through my blog who used to live in Tucson but recently moved to Phoenix; and the Tucson runners - Matt, Chris, Wayne.

Hippo and Angie

Chuck fuels up

Steve at some point during the night

Joyce, Chris, Denise

It was nice to catch up with the rest of the Tucson runners' family throughout the day (Hi Joyce!). It was also cute to watch Jess in the throes of new love, giggling and laughing and sending text messages all day long. We talked about Eric Clifton's DNF, about the race between Jorge Pacheco and Andy Jones-Wilkens, about Connie Gardner blowing past Michelle Barton as Michelle struggled with the heat. Steve passed by both Connie and Michelle right after Connie passed, and he told a cute story, complete with facial antics, about the differences between the top two women - Connie with her head down, plowing forward, unaware of anyone else; Michelle with a faint smile and a tired "hi" as he passed.

Connie - the lead woman - gets sunscreen

It was hot out there. I was in the shade and not moving much and still I was sweating. With the washing machine loops and everyone having to run through headquarters, it made a nice spectator course, with there almost always being at least one runner there.


Jennifer marks off another lap

I made sure to hydrate well throughout the day in preparation for my pacing duties. I also tried to eat well, although I did snag one slice of cheese pizza at about 5 pm. Jess, Mark (Michelle's pacer) and I started talking about how Jennifer, the OCTR runner who was determined to finish a 100-miler, needed a pacer. Jess and Mark said Rob, another OCTR runner (who I met a Zane Grey this year), was planning on coming out to pace Michelle for another lap. Mark said he could take Michelle's second lap, and Rob could run with Jennifer. I also received instructions on how to prep Michelle's water bottle for the next lap, since Mark would be out on the course with her, Jess would be pacing Kirk and Rob would be heading out with Jennifer.


I was nervous - what if I messed up the bottle preparation? What if I didn't recognize Rob? Thankfully, when Rob arrived, I knew who he was immediately. I went over and (re-)introduced myself. He remembered me from Zane Grey. I told him about how he needed to go out with Jennifer. He asked me, "does Michelle know? This is okay??" and I assured him Mark was telling Michelle, and everything should be fine. He raced off to get his gear as Jennifer came into the station. I filled her in on what was happening and then went and sat down. Suddenly, I realized that I could really be screwing things up here. What if I mis-understood Mark? What if Rob wasn't supposed to go out with Jennifer? Was I totally screwing up the second-place woman's strategy? Ack!

Michelle and Mark get ready for lap 6

Rob and Jennifer took off and my stomach started gnawing at me. I sure hope I understood correctly. Mark and Michelle finally entered the aid station. I snagged Mark and told him Rob was out with Jennifer, and he was glad. I double-checked that he was okay heading back out with Michelle, and he was totally fine. Whew. I did do the right thing!


Time to head to bed. It was about 8:30 by the time I was in my sleeping bag in Kirk's tent. It took awhile to fall asleep, and my stomach was making noises. Then an alarm went off. Then I needed to pee. Then I heard Kirk and Jess approach, and suddenly an, "oh shit!"

Turns out the pacer Kirk had lined up for lap 5 was not ready for Kirk, instead he was out pacing his wife. Oh shit is right! That meant I needed to get up and get ready ASAP. Thank god I had prepped some of my running stuff before I went to bed, and thank goodness I can get up and ready to run within 10 minutes. I raced through getting ready, and we headed out at 11 pm.

Angie and Kirk get ready for lap 6

My goal: get my runner in with a time of 4:30 for this lap. This meant 90 minutes between aid stations. Make sure he eats and drinks.

I was delighted that I got to go in the clockwise direction; this is the direction I know best, from running Pemberton 50k. I still had the distances between trail junctions memorized, and knew this trail like the back of my hand. I knew when the rocks would come, when downhils would come, how long it'd take me to reach certain landmarks. Good. I could do this.

We set out at a brisk powerwalk over rolling hills. The full moon was bright enough that I didn't need my headlamp, and soon Kirk turned his off. We chatted about how he was feeling, how the day was going. We trotted a few times (trot being our word for running, since we weren't exactly running), then headed up a ridge. This is the rockiest part of the course. I liked looking out ahead and seeing headlamps bobbing in the distance. The desert at night is beautiful. The temperature wavers between cold and warm, depending on whether you are on a ridge or deep in a wash. I offered my clif shot blocks to Kirk, because I could tell he needed to eat more. We saw the crazy fountain of Fountain Hills in the distance (yes, Jess, it does light up at night) at midnight, and realized it was now Sunday morning.

My stomach was upset with me. My digestive system was wanting to rebel. It was asking me why in the world I ate that slice of cheese pizza. Yuck.

We made it to the first aid staion, Coyote Camp, right on target. I snapped a photo of Kirk:

Kirk at mile 72ish

Then a volunteer said, "What about me?!" So here's a photo of Don:

Don - an aid station volunteer

I asked him his name so I could post it on my blog, to which he asked, "What blog?" Onepinkfuzzy."Oh!" came a voice, "You're Angie!" Um, yes, I am. "It's Angie!" The RDs for OP50 were at the aid station and came over - "Angie, will you be able to volunteer at the race again this year?" Well, I'm crewing/pacing a friend. But I can help stuff bags in preparation. "Thank you!!" was the response. We headed out for the next - the longest! - five miles.

I found it was hard for me to keep my mind, my mouth, going. I kept wanting to shut up and move forward. Finally Kirk says to me, "Tell me a story!" I realized it was my job to keep his mind off what he was doing. We had just been passed by the guy in the fairy costume (complete with a wand, I loved it), so I said, "Once upon a time, there was a fairy who loved running." Then I stopped. I couldn't come up with anything more!

Complete with wand!

I wracked my brain to come up with something - anything - I could talk about to keep him going. I started on Ash, and since he has kids, we spent the next five miles discussing children and parenting. That morphed into junior high horror stories, working fast food joints, and the crazy gypsy lifestyle of my late teens/early twenties. My digestive system was still in disagreement with me.

By the time we were about a mile out from the next aid station, my fears about my under-training were coming true. I was in pain. I was really worried about injuring myself. I knew that if I were the runner, I would want to know how my pacer was doing, so I chose to tell Kirk that I wasn't doing well. I asked if he had any ibuprofen, which he did, but he also wasn't feeling well. I told him to take the pills, because it was more important for him to take them and be able to keep going for the 100 miles. I was doing a measly 15.

But that measly 15 was wearing on me. I told him there was a chance I was going to need to send him on, because I wasn't sure I'd be able make it, especially at the pace we needed to get him in. If the next aid station didn't have any pain medication, I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it.

Oh boy, was that the wrong thing to say! I didn't realize how much he was relying on me to help him make it through. I could see it in the slump of his shoulders, in the slowness of his pace. It was like he deflated. Oh shit, that wasn't my point! I felt like smacking my forehead. Duh! I needed to stay strong for my runner!

Rookie mistake.

We made it to Jackass Junction, where I asked if they had any pain meds, which of course, they didn't (legal reasons, I suppose). However, a random person there heard me ask, and gave me two advils. Oh my god, YES! I also had to use the 'throne' - quite literally, a throne. The port-a-john was up on a trailer, making it out to be a throne. Embarassing.

Kirk at Mile 67ish

We set out for the last five miles. These are easy, slightly downhill miles. Kirk decided we could make it down in 1:15. I was a little worried about that. Sure, I got pain meds, but in my condition, I wasn't sure I could - or should - do that.

I decided my runner needed me, and I would buck up and do it. We continued our conversation from before. We had burping contests (two bites of a donut at the last aid station didn't agree with me) - and he clearly won. Mine were wimpy! We called out "Good morning!" cheerily to fellow runners - some of whom got the hilarity in the "good morning" at 3 am, and some of whom wouldn't even grunt in our direction. We took turns as to who was in front. I was silly and allowed my Angie tired silliness out to play, such as joking about the howling coyotes: they were feasting a runner who took a wrong turn!

We got in a lot of good trotting here, and I apologized for scaring him earlier with my "I might need to wimp out" stuff. We made it through the final mile, and ran it in - our time for the loop: 4:24. Right on.

Jess was unable to line up another pacer for Kirk for the next lap. Kirk head out, somewhat dejected. I was worried about him - lap 6, 35 miles to go, early morning when it'll be the coldest, and he was all by himself.

I chowed down on two lukewarm hot dogs, some soup and some oreos, then headed to bed. My stomach was so upset with me that I couldn't really sleep much. Finally, I got up at sunrise and snuggled in my sleeping bag at the finish line, listening to Steve talk about his run, listening to other Bay Area runners talk about their race. This was the first 100-mile race I got to observe in person, and it was interesting to wake up the next day and hear people talk about it, and know that there were people still out on the course.

JJ100 107

Angie is muy tired

Jess joined me, and we discussed when her flight would leave and when we needed to get back to my mom's to pack up. Suddenly, Kirk appeared - a full 30 minutes before I was even going to start expecting him! He was doing great! Only 10 miles to go, and by this time, a gentleman Kirk had met at a previous race was ready to go out with him. Yay! Jess and I wouldn't be able to see him finish, so we told him congratulations on finishing, and cheered him on as he left. (He went on to finish in 29:17, way to go!)

We headed back to my mom's, showered, packed up and napped (oh sweet joy - a real bed), then I took her to the airport and headed home.

At dinner last night with Chris, I talked about how I really feel no need now to run 100 miles. I've seen it done. I know the human body is capable of doing it. And I don't need to make THIS human body do it. Nah, I don't want to. I don't even really want to do a 50-miler! I'm fine with 50ks. Those are doable with my schedule, my life, my desires. I feel no need to prove myself by running even farther, like I've felt before. And I'm fine with that. Not just fine, but happy with that.

Last night, I also got a gym membership! I got a great deal at the gym Chris has a membership, and I'm looking forward to being able to cross-train on bikes, with spinning, with the stair-master (for ZG)!

Today, I need more rest. I'm still recovering from last week, from the exhuasting and sleepless weekend. I'm taking the day off from work. I've got loads and loads of laundry, dishes to do, the house needs to be cleaned. I have errands to run. There's no time in the rest of the week - work is too busy - so I will take the time now to nurture myself and make sure I'm okay.

I was going to wait and post this as a giant blog entry on Sunday afternoon, but decided I'll do it in pieces. This is my diary of my experience at JJ100 2007.

8:27 p.m. Friday, Oct. 26
Sunset at the pre-race dinner
Well, DUH, Jess ;) Of course it's very "desert" out here!
Kirk F at the pre-race dinner
And yes, you read that title correctly. I am scheduled to pace Kirk F, a gentleman I met at Twin Peaks this year, for his miles 75-90 at 4:30 a.m. Sunday morning. He DNF'd last year, and this year is back to complete the course. I'm both excited and nervous about this. I've never paced anyone before (will he still be in the race? what condition will he be in? can I keep him awake, alert, out of the cactus, in a good mood?). I'll have to be up at 4 a.m. Sunday morning after a few restless hours of sleep in a tent on hard-packed dirt at race headquarters (will my alarm go off? will I wake up?). I'll have to be dressed appropriately (what's the temp going to be? did I pack properly?). I'll have to go 15 miles (I haven't done that in four months, am I ready? will I hurt myself? can I make it? will I slow him down?). I have to be prepared (do I have the right clothes? the right water bottles? did I bring my headlamp?).
Jess at the pre-race dinner
I volunteered for this after I heard he had Jess to pace him for miles 45-60 and another friend to pace miles 60-75, but no one for the rest of the course. I figure by then, he'll be really tired and most likely walking. I can walk 15 miles, of course. That won't injure me!
Angie at the pre-race dinner
I'll be sore, that's for sure. But it'll be worth it.
Jess on the trail
Oh yeah, the report for the day - picked up Jess from the airport, thought her luggage was lost but found it, got lost driving from the airport to my parents (I told you I was a bad driver), went out to the trailhead and did a run/walk of four miles (emphasis on the walk part - it was 93 degrees out; I am SO not ready for that kind of heat!), hung out at the pre-race dinner where I got to meet Steve and Hippo briefly, saw a javelina on our drive back, stopped by a local grocery store to get essentials and now we're at my mom's house, where we are currently cozily ensconsed with me on the 'net, and Jess talking to polish girl (read her blog for details :))
Part of the JJ100 Trail
7:07 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 27
Just woke up from a nice, deep 10-hour sleep. Sweeeet. I think Jess is still sleeping. We'll be taking our time getting ready this morning, then head up to the trailhead (about an hour from my mom's house), and spend the next 24 hours there. Thankfully, Kirk has a tent and sleeping gear, and I also happen to have a fleece blanket and sleeping bag in the trunk of my car (I always keep it there) (I don't just overpack for trips, I overpack for daily life too). This way both Jess and I can try to snag a few zzz's tonight in between pacing duties. We should be pretty well prepared; the last errands we have to do this morning are to Starbucks (gotta have that coffee - and espresso beans, don't forget the espresso beans, that'll be key tomorrow morning) and Subway (lunch and dinner today).

This'll be so much fun!!!


angie's explored by trail running (and mixed-media art)

My Blogger Profile



The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They make the best of everything.

I lost this much...

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

One Year: How I went from a Non-runner to a Recreational Runner to an Ultrarunner

Doing my best Gallbladder Disease

Broken Barriers

I was in the local paper!

Quoted in an article

Profiled in the BodyPlus! section of the Tucson Citizen

Quoted in another article
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from onepinkfuzzy. Make your own badge here.

About this Archive

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Race! category.

Nutrition is the previous category.

Strength Training is the next category.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.


Race Reports:

Angie approaches 17

April 26, 2008: Zane Grey 50k, Payson, AZ - 30 miles for my 30th Birthday - Report and Photos

Mama and Angie round the curve to the finish

April 6, 2008, A Lark in the Park 5k, Phoenix Zoo, AZ, Report and Photos

Angie in the orange shirt

Nov. 22, 2007: Thanksgiving Cross-Country Classic, Tucson, AZ, Report Run'n'Roll07 004

Oct. 7, 2007: Jim Click Run'n'Roll 8k, Tucson, AZ, Report

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

June 2, 2007: Meet Me Downtown 5k, Tucson, AZ, Recap

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

May 6, 2007: Cinco de Mayo 10k, Tucson, AZ, with Paki (my first 10k ever!) Recap

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

March 30-31, 2007: Ragnar Relay Del Sol, Wickenburg to Scottsdale, AZ, as part of the Performance Footwear Team, Recap and Photos


November 23, 2006, Tucson, AZ: Thanksgiving Day Cross-Country Classic with Team Run Like a Girl - Setting a PR! Recap


October 1, 2006, Tucson, AZ: Jim Click Run & Roll with Recap

Angie at the finish of Sugar & Spice 50k

June 10, 2006, Cave Run Lake, KY: Sugar & Spice 32 Mile Ultramarathon with Results... plus Recap Part 1 and Recap Part 2, also Pictures! and more Pictures!

Ash and Mama run to the finish line

April 22, Tucson, AZ: Spring Cross Country Classic 5k: Recap and Pictures


April 15, 2006, Sabino Canyon, Tucson, AZ Sabino Canyon Sunset Run: Recap and Pictures

Coming into the mid aid station at Pemberton

February 4, 2006, Pheonix, AZ Pemberton 50k, my first ultra: Recap Parts One and Two, also Pictures

Iron Girl Mother/Daughter 5k

December 2005, Tempe, AZ Iron Girl Mother/Daughter 5k:Recap and Pictures

Angie at the Cactus Cha-Cha 7 miler

October 2005, Phoenix, AZ Cactus Cha-Cha 7-mile: Pictures

Angie and Paki at their first race together

September 2005, Tucson, AZ Jim Click's Run&Roll 8k: Pictures

Angie at the finish line of her first race

August 2005, Flagstaff, AZ Soldier Trail 5k, my first race: Pictures

Crew Reports:

p>March 1, 2008: Crewing for Olga, at the Old Pueblo 50 mile. Report (photo link at the end of the report)

Oct. 26-28, 2007: Pacing for Kirk at Javelina Jundred, Reports: Part I and Part II

April 28, 2007: Olga's Crew Pinky Report on Zane Grey 50 Mile Race

March 4, 2007: Volunteer report from Old Pueblo 50 Mile Endurance Run

February 4, 2007: Volunteer Report from Twin Peaks 50/50

April 27 (?), 2006: Volunteer Report from Zane Grey 50 Mile Race